Physiological or biological stress is an organism’s response to a stressor such as an environmental condition. Stress is a body’s method of reacting to a challenge. According to the stressful event, the body’s way to respond to stress is by sympathetic nervous system activation which results in the fight-or-flight response. Because the body cannot keep this state for long periods of time, the parasympathetic system returns the body’s physiological conditions to normal (homeostasis). In humans, stress typically describes a negative condition or a positive condition that can affect a person’s mental and physical well-being. Signs of stress may be cognitive, emotional, physical, or behavioural.
The prevalence of stress related mental and physical problems in society is about 70%. This causes problems in handling workplace as well as personal relationships.
Work with Poppy:
We recognise that each individual’s situation is different, which is why we ensure that everyone has a unique consulting plan tailored to their needs. The work can involve:
- Identifying what has been and is going on in your environment that may be contributing to the issues you’re facing.
- Assessing how this behaviour serves you on a deeper level i.e. all behaviours ultimately have a benefit or we wouldn’t use them.
- Understanding the costs and consequences of behaviour, the effect on relationships and potential opportunities lost.
- Discussing the cycle of thoughts, emotions and behaviours.
- Identifying inner conflicts that sabotage progression and wellness.
- Learning about emotional suppression and the psychology of emotion.
- Developing open, authentic relating so that any disturbing behaviour is no longer needed as a strategy for coping.
- Discovering and then mastering the methods for building and maintaining a healthy, happy, progressive and successful future.