SEX AND LOVE ADDICTION
Love and sex addictions involve both the cases of:
1. Love addiction, that is, a proposed model of pathological passion-related behaviour involving the feeling of being in love. This always demands the presence of one person who supports or enables another person’s addiction, poor mental health, immaturity, irresponsibility, or under-achievement. The most common characteristic of love addiction is an excessive reliance on other people for approval and identity.
2. Sex addiction, that is, a state characterized by compulsive participation or engagement in sexual activity, particularly sexual intercourse, despite negative consequences. In clinical diagnostics, the term sexual dependence may also refer to a conceptual model that is used to assess people who report being unable to control their sexual urges, behaviours, or thoughts.
Prevalence varies in different societies. Though love and sex addictions are sometimes not treated as disorders under medical field, they can be treated effectively by appropriate therapy.
Work with Poppy:
We recognise that each individual’s situation is different, which is why we ensure that everyone has a unique consulting plan tailored to their needs. The work can involve:
- Identifying what has been and is going on in your environment that may be contributing to the issues you’re facing.
- Assessing how this behaviour serves you on a deeper level i.e. all behaviours ultimately have a benefit or we wouldn’t use them.
- Understanding the costs and consequences of behaviour, the effect on relationships and potential opportunities lost.
- Discussing the cycle of thoughts, emotions and behaviours.
- Identifying inner conflicts that sabotage progression and wellness.
- Learning about emotional suppression and the psychology of emotion.
- Developing open, authentic relating so that any disturbing behaviour is no longer needed as a strategy for coping.
- Discovering and then mastering the methods for building and maintaining a healthy, happy, progressive and successful future.