Binge eating is a pattern of disordered eating which consists of episodes of uncontrollable eating. It is sometimes a symptom of Binge eating disorder or compulsive overeating disorder. During such binges, a person rapidly consumes an excessive amount of food. Most people who have eating binges try to hide this behaviour from others, and often feel ashamed about being overweight or depressed about their overeating.
Binge-eating disorder, as the name implies, is characterized by uncontrollable, excessive eating, followed by feelings of shame and guilt. Those with binge-eating disorder symptoms typically do not purge their food, fast, or excessively exercise to compensate for binges. Additionally, these individuals tend to diet more often, enroll in weight-control programs and have a history of family obesity.
Work with Poppy:
We recognise that each individual’s situation is different, which is why we ensure that everyone has a unique consulting plan tailored to their needs. The work can involve:
- Identifying what has been and is going on in your environment that may be contributing to the issues you’re facing.
- Assessment of how binge eating serves you on a deeper level i.e. all behaviours ultimately have a benefit or we wouldn’t use them. We recognise that each individual’s situation is different, which is why we ensure that everyone has a unique consulting plan tailored to their needs.
- Understanding the costs and consequences of behaviour, the effect on relationships and potential opportunities lost.
- Discussing the cycle of thoughts, emotions and behaviours.
- Identifying inner conflicts that sabotage progression and wellness.
- Learning about emotional suppression and the psychology of emotion.
- Developing open, authentic relating so that any disturbing behaviour is no longer needed as a strategy for coping.
- Discovering and then mastering the methods for building and maintaining a healthy, happy, progressive and successful future.