Attachment disorder is a broad term intended to describe disorders of mood, behaviour, and social relationships arising from difficulty in forming attachments to primary care giving figures in early childhood. This issue would result from unusual early experiences of neglect, abuse, abrupt separation from caregivers between 6 months and three years of age, frequent change or excessive numbers of caregivers, or lack of caregiver responsiveness to child communicative efforts resulting in a lack of basic trust. It denotes emotional and behavioural problems of young children, and also applied to school-age children, teenagers and adults.
Statistics show that 8 out of 10 children are exposed to trauma in childhood may suffer from Attachment disorder. Again 1 among these 10 may not function well emotionally as they grow up.
Work with Poppy:
We recognise that each individual’s situation is different, which is why we ensure that everyone has a unique consulting plan tailored to their needs. The work can involve:
- Identifying what has been and is going on in your environment that may be contributing to the issues you’re facing.
- Assessing how this behaviour serves you on a deeper level i.e. all behaviours ultimately have a benefit or we wouldn’t use them.
- Understanding the costs and consequences of behaviour, the effect on relationships and potential opportunities lost.
- Discussing the cycle of thoughts, emotions and behaviours.
- Identifying inner conflicts that sabotage progression and wellness.
- Learning about emotional suppression and the psychology of emotion.
- Developing open, authentic relating so that any disturbing behaviour is no longer needed as a strategy for coping.
- Discovering and then mastering the methods for building and maintaining a healthy, happy, progressive and successful future.